Practical EXAFS and XANES,
Hands on training in Design, Performance and Analysis and of XAS experiments
Time: Monday Nov 1st – Friday Nov 5th 2021
The purpose of this course is to train new or early users to design, plan, prepare, perform and analyze an x-ray absorption spectroscopy experiment at a synchrotron beamline. The course contains three mayor elements:
- 17h Lectures/seminars including:
- Creation, interaction and measurement with/of X-rays
- (Major focus) Concepts, Design and Analysis of XAS measurements
- Large scale facilities (Balder specifically), proposal and publication of scientific results
- 17h (Guided) Practical data analysis training. This analysis will be performed with freely available tools and is intended to prepare the future users for independent work. This practical work is performed on provided data chosen for a specific learning outcome which include:
- (Major Focus) EXAFS analysis of molecular and solid samples
- XANES analysis of molecular, solid and nano particulate samples
- Linear combination analysis in XANES/EXAFS of diverse mixed samples (earth, ) and crystalline materials (e.g. CZTS)
- 7h (one Day) Practical (beamline) work including:
- Sample preparation
- Safety training
- MAXIV tour
The participants receive extended problems (about 12h working time) for continued work at the end of the initial one-week course. The analysis and discussion (guided by a consultation time) can be presented as home-exam to receive a certificate for 3 ETCS credits or a certificate of participation.
Target Group: The Course is concepted for students at the PhD or Postdoctoral level with a Natural Sciences background.
Jens Uhlig, Lector at Lund University at Chemical Physics.
Lindsay Richard Merte, Senior Lector at Malmö University, Faculty of Technology and Society
Kajsa Sigfridsson Clauss, Justus Just, Konstantin Scientists at Balder and
Susan Postdoc at Balder
Course: LINXS (Lund Institute for X-ray and Neutron Science) and Chemical Center Lund University
Experiments: Balder Beamline at the MaxIV laboratories (Thursday 4th of November)
Online: We will try to play in the course and provide online access.
Costs: The course is free of charge for the participants. Due to restrictions during the present days can we offer 24 places for this first course. We are planning to hold this course annually. Linxs will cover the costs for lunch and the course dinner.
Registration: Please fill out the inquiry below.
Deadline for registration: 20th of September 2021
The teachers will award the accessible places and inform you about your placement on the main or reserve list before the 30th of September.